I haven’t been a publishing machine in the months since last I wrote. That said, I have been writing and sending my work out with the rigor that I should have been applying myself yea these many years.
- Submitted my book manuscript to 18 contests (so far, 3 rejections)
- Submitted poetry to 14 journals (so far, 7 rejections)
- Submitted an application to a fellowship
- Submitted a play to a journal
- Submitted creative nonfiction to 3 journals (one journal took a story 2 days after I submitted it!)
- Submitted flash/ fiction to 5 journals
Every time I open up Submittable and I see all my active submissions, I feel a little self-impressed. Which is not the worst thing. I need all the encouragement I can get, because the last few rejections have really bummed me out. (Especially the one I got on Friday which just infuriated me… unfortunately I can’t go into it because there’s no way to be anonymous regarding the journal and say what I REALLY want to say about them.)
What I really need to do is to get some quiet time and try writing something unusual, something hybridy, maybe. What that would be, I couldn’t say. Maybe tomorrow…
Anyway, I’m reveling in my dedication. And I didn’t post this so that I could be all “look at me, look at me,” but just to remind myself that I can make writing a priority, and that it’s good for me. And, to have a record of it, for when I’m feeling kind of down about my writing successes, or I reach a dry spell.
I hope all of you are having good luck in your writing too.